Tuesday, May 6, 2008

My New Verio VPS Server

I decided to switch over to a VPS for various reasons.
For one, I had about 3 or 4 shared hosting accounts and it would be more economical to just get one VPS server and then also have the option of subhosting to pay for some of the costs.

Secondly, I had always heard people say that I would get a lot better performance if I had a VPS server. I was somewhat skeptical because everyone always wants you to upgrade. However, I must say that after upgrading I have already noticed a significant increase in loading speeds. On my Shared Hosting account I was running a Joomla system and vBulletin System. The vBulletin loaded with decent timing but I would often set my vBulletin or Joomla as my homepage and it would drive me crazy when they didn't load fairly quickly. I would then immediately test Google to see if it was my internet and it rarely was. I was finally convinced to take everyone's advice and upgrade to the VPS. So far it has completely lived up to my expectations. Both my Joomla and vBulletin load MUCH quicker and I also have been learning how to harness the power of Shell and have been able to get mod_deflate working to compress my files and speed things up even more.

I signed up for the VPS v3 Basic Package which costs about $86/month.

I will type up the problems that I run into and the things I learn as I learn them and hopefully it will help others who are working on similar projects as I am.

-John

2 comments:

sreehari said...

hey, I have installed mysql, php5 and phpmyadmin. But now I have no idea.. how to link my domain name to vps .. and where to install the joomla ? can you help me with an answer

Jennifer said...

I get it clear idea about VPS server and how its working all the points get it from through this blog.Excellent written skills.web hosting in india