Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Joomla error: the xml response that was returned from the server is invalid

During the process of trying to install Joomla 1.5, I like many other people, continued to get the error:

error: the xml response that was returned from the server is invalid

Others were discussing the topic on the Joomla forum:
http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=429&t=265877

but nothing really helped me from there. After trying to run the SQL myself through PHPMyAdmin I gave up with that and went to try another install (this would be my 3rd or 4th). When I got the the part of the configuration for install, the only thing that I did differently was I changed the advanced setting on the Database Config page to the non-default radio button. Instead of backing up old Joomla tables I selected to Drop them or something - this was a fresh install so I figured it wouldn't matter.

Then voila, Sample Data Installed Successfully on the next page.

The other option that I was going to look into was something about PHP's ctype being enabled or not. Some people were getting a similar error for Drupal and enabling ctype was a solution I think. However, the process to do this involved recompiling PHP which I didn't want to mess with.

Hope part 1 helps you!

John

10 comments:

Unknown said...

tried that and it didnt work for me....mind you i get a slightly different error message:

The xml response that was returned from the server can not be processed.

any other ideas?

Thanksd

Melvin Tong said...

Works for me! Dropping the table, especially for new installation is the answer! Thanks mate! :)

John said...

Check the next post I just made about deleting the configuration file! Hope that works!

joeyblogger said...

Cool !! Thank you very much

graham_leach said...

What worked for me was to IGNORE the warning about a missing configuration.php file and let the system create it on Step 4 or whatever.

The installation went very smoothly once I did that.

Joe Watkins said...

Great everything works fine now

Annu said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Annu said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Annu said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Suthan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.